Today’s generation of seniors is inundated with an explosion of high tech products aimed at improving their safety and independence and enhancing their lives. At the touch of a button or two, they can instantly visit “in person” with friends and family through Skype, wear a necklace that responds with emergency assistance when needed, even stay safe from wandering with specialized sensors attached to clothing or shoes.
The challenge becomes how to encourage seniors (and those who care for them) to shift from a low-tech mindset to embracing all that’s available to them. A recent Caring.com survey showed that as few as 15% of families caring for senior loved ones are actually utilizing technology. The main hurdles?
- Stigma. Many seniors see the use of technology products, such as medical alert jewelry, as a sign of lost independence.
- Support. Troubleshooting problems with technology causes many seniors and their caregivers to give up on trying to get gadgets to work.
- Time. Finding time to devote to learning and trying something new is especially challenging for busy caregivers.
If you’d like to incorporate a little technology into caring for a senior loved one but are facing these challenges or others, call on North River Home Care for help! Our trained and patient staff can help overcome the technology hurdles by:
- Making recommendations for technology that suits an individual’s needs and personality
- Setting up and providing instruction on how to use the technology
Whether it is setting up a personal medical alert system or teaching someone how to enjoy applications on a tablet device, we can help seniors stay connected to family and friends and enjoy life to the fullest! Call us at 781.659.1366.