Geriatric Care Managers (GCMs) are health and human services specialists who help families care for older relatives, while encouraging as much independence as possible. The GCM may be trained in any of a number of fields related to long-term care, including, but not limited to, nursing, gerontology, social work, or psychology, with a specialized focus on issues related to aging and elder care.
The GCM is an experienced guide for families of older adults, and helps to navigate the maze of elder care resources. They also facilitate communication among families and health professionals, and help maintain a continuity of care management. It is important to hire someone who you feel comfortable with, as effective communication is paramount.
What can a Geriatric Care Manager do for their clients?
- Conduct care-planning assessments to identify problems and to provide solutions.
- Screen, arrange, and monitor in-home help or other services, including assistance in hiring a qualified caregiver for home care.
- Provide short- or long-term eldercare assistance for those engaged in local or long distance caregiving.
- Review financial, legal, or medical issues and offer referrals to geriatric specialists.
- Provide crisis intervention.
- Act as a liaison to families at a distance, overseeing care, and quickly alerting families to problems – especially important when families are engaged in long distance caregiving for a loved one.
- Assist with moving an older person to or from a retirement complex, assisted care home, or nursing home.
- Provide consumer education and advocacy.
- Offer eldercarecounseling and support.
- Some GCMs also provide family or individual therapy, finance management, conservatorship or guardianship assistance, and/or caregiving services.
We are happy to refer you to a Geriatric Care Manager. Please give us a call at (781)659-1366.
For additional information on Geriatric Care Managers, please see:
National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers (NAPGCM) home page: www.caremanager.org
Members of the New England chapter are listed at: www.gcmnewengland.org