Falls among the elderly can cause not only injuries from cuts and bruises to serious hip fractures and head trauma, but also a chain reaction of health complications. Researchers have found that many elderly who fall, even if uninjured, develop a fear of falling, causing them to limit their activities, which further reduces their mobility and physical fitness, which in turn increases their actual risk of falling.
If you have a loved one at home who is frail or has mobility issues, or has fallen in the past, there are a number of products on the market that can help with preventing falls at home.
Here are a few:
- Door Alarms: If you have a loved one who tends to wander, particularly at night, door alarms can help alert you or a caregiver that your loved one is moving about and may be at risk of falling.
- Monitoring Systems: Monitoring systems are becoming popular as a means of tracking an elderly individual’s movements at home. Sensors can be placed throughout the home to monitor movements and some even come with call functions for the senior to alert a caregiver in the event of a fall.
- Fall Management Socks and Slippers: These are available with rubber grips on the bottom to help prevent slips and are perfect for seniors who are considered high-risk for falls. There are also slip-resistant socks that can be worn in the shower.
- Bedrails: Many falls occur during the night as seniors move in their sleep or get up during the night. Bedrails can keep seniors from falling out of bed and give them something to grip when standing to get out of bed.
- Stairlifts: Stairs can pose a serious fall hazard. Stairlifts can help seniors keep their bedroom on an upper floor while ensuring they can safely navigate the stairway.
These are just a few of the fall-prevention products available.
North River Home Care can provide an additional safety net for eldercare clients in the Boston area, South Shore, and Cape Cod, through in-home care services such as personal assistance, transportation, meal preparation, and light housekeeping. We work diligently to help seniors remain active and independent in their own home. For an in-home safety assessment or more information on our in-home eldercare services, contact North River Home Care at (781) 659-1366.