Each year, one out of three adults age 65 and older falls, the leading cause of both fatal and non-fatal injuries among seniors, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Knowing what can be done around the house to help prevent or reduce the risk of falls can save a senior from the emergency room or worse.
Modifying a home so that a senior can perform daily activities as safely and comfortably as possible can be simple or more involved. The type of modification required will depend on the nature of the senior’s limitations and the physical set-up of the home, but an investment in home modification can help create a safer environment and allow a senior to remain independent and at home for as long as possible.
North River Home Care has seen firsthand in the households it serves throughout the greater Boston area how families can make quick modifications that will significantly reduce fall risks for frail elderly or those with mobility issues.
Here are some simple home modifications that can be done to reduce the risk of falls for your elderly loved ones:
- Replace light bulbs regularly to make sure there is adequate illumination in the home
- Use nightlights or motion sensor lights for better visibility at night
- Eliminate or reduce the amount of electrical cords running across large areas
- Install low pile carpet or skid-proof tile
- Remove rugs, or secure them with non-skid tape
- Use a contrast in color with paint, carpet and furniture to denote changes in surface types or floor levels
- Avoid using floor polish
- Install grab bars on walls around the tub and beside the toilet, strong enough to hold your weight
- Add nonskid mats or strips to bathtubs
- Mount liquid soap dispenser on the bathtub wall
- Install a portable, hand-held shower head
- Add a padded bath or shower seat
For more tips on preventing falls for the elderly, click here.
And for more information on personalized eldercare in the comfort of home, contact North River Home Care at (781) 659-1366. Headquartered in Norwell, Massachusetts, we serve clients throughout the Boston area, the South Shore, and Cape Cod, with in-home eldercare services available for as little as a few hours a day up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Let our experienced caregivers look after your loved ones, for their safety, and your peace of mind.