The delicious holiday dinner concludes with crumbs on the plates. Some family members have drifted away to monitor wiggly children anticipating gifts, others are laughing and enjoying a coffee at the table…and grandmother sits quietly in the corner, separate from the conversations and activity due to poor hearing. How many holidays have you spent like this? The holidays can be a time of confusion and chaos for an older adult, but there are ways to make a holiday gathering inclusive and enjoyable for all ages. The memories created will linger and provide joy long after the holidays have passed.
Try some of these ideas to allow your older loved ones to participate in the fun:
- Play holiday music. Put on a festive CD or gather around the piano for a holiday sing-along.
- Share memories. The holidays are a great time to reminisce, and older family members often love to share stories. Engage them in a trip down memory lane.
- Create a simply holiday craft together such as creating a pomander with a sweet orange and spicy cloves.
- Put together a holiday photo album. Sorting through old holiday photos and recalling all the memories is fun for all ages and is a great, simple way to include a senior in the festivities.
- Have an entire day or weekend of holiday activities planned? Employ a professional caregiver from North River Home Care to stay with your older loved one throughout a busy day of activities to ensure comfort and needs are met.
We’d love to hear other suggestions on holiday activities that have been a hit with your senior loved ones. Contact us online or call us at 781-659-1366 to learn more about how we can help your loved one find fulfillment and joy, not just during the holidays, but throughout the year. Our compassionate and highly skilled caregivers are fully trained in a wide range of specialized needs, including Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, macular degeneration and glaucoma, hearing loss, Parkinson’s disease, and more. Contact us for a free information packet to learn more. And from all of us at North River Home Care, Happy Holidays!