Stress is a part of everyday live, but for a full-time family caregiver, stress can be overwhelming. The stress and challenges of caregiving can take a toll on a caregiver mentally and physically, and can often lead to depression and an overall decrease in health. However, caregiver burnout isn’t just a problem for the caregiver. Because stressed out caregivers are more prone to angry or emotional outbursts, prolonged caregiver stress has implications for the care recipient as well.
It is important to recognize if you are in danger of experiencing caregiver burnout and seek outside help if needed. Take a look at some of the questions below to help determine if caregiver burnout may be in your near future:
- Have you given up favorite activities or hobbies?
- Are you developing back pain, headaches, daily fatigue, and/or depression?
- Are you getting sick more than usual?
- Is your temper shorter than normal in public or with friends and family?
- Do you lash out at your loved one when he or she behaves erratically or becomes difficult?
- Are your other emotions more touchy than usual? Are you experiencing despair or crying for little or no reason?
- Have you gained or lost weight unintentionally?
- Do you suffer from lack of sleep or chronic insomnia?
If you answered yes to several of the above questions, you may be in danger of caregiver burnout and it is time to seek help. North River Home Care, serving home care clients throughout the Boston Area, the South Shore, and Cape Cod, can provide respite care services to help give family caregivers the break that they need to rest and recharge, while ensuring that their loved ones are in excellent hands.
Contact the North River Home Care team to learn more about our home care services and how to avoid caregiver burnout and keep balance in your life.